Soldier Field in Chicago
You may know it as the home of the Chicago Bears, but you can find a wide variety of Soldier Field events to enjoy—from rock concerts and competitive ski events to weddings and charity walks. If you’re looking for fun things to do in Chicago this summer, Soldier field is a great place to start! Plus, its centralized location makes it easy to stop by Chicago attractions and landmarks like the Willis Tower Skydeck and Millenium Park. Learn more about the historic Chicago Bears stadium—and where to go after your favorite Soldier Field events—in this guide from Skydeck Chicago.
Soldier Field: 100 Years of History
The Chicago Bears moved from Wrigley Field to Soldier Field in 1971, but the stadium’s history stretches back a lot further than that! We’ve outlined a few key Soldier Field events over the past hundred years:
- 1919 – Chicago architects Holibird and Roche are hired to design a stadium that will serve as a showcase “for events and a playground for the people.”
- 1924 – Then known as the Grant Park Municipal Stadium, Soldier Field opens to the public
- 1925 – The stadium is renamed Soldier Field at the request of the Chicago Gold Star Mothers.
- 1926 – Army-Navy game draws record crowds.
- 1927 – Soldier Field hosts the Jack Dempsey/Gene Tunney heavyweight rematch.
- 1944 – 150,000 spectators attended a wartime visit by President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1968 – Soldier Field hosts the first Special Olympic Games.
- 1971 – The Chicago Bears move to Soldier Field.
Things to Do in Chicago Near Soldier Field
Looking for other family-friendly entertainment near Soldier Field? Try these Chicago mainstays:
- Field Museum – A collection of nearly 40 million specimens and artifacts, including SUE, the world’s most complete Tyrannosaurus rex.
- Shedd Aquarium – Get close and personal with aquatic animals like whales, tarantulas, turtles, angelfish, zebra sharks, and much more.
- Willis Tower Skydeck – Experience Chicago from 1,353 feet in the air with The Ledge’s glass boxes, which extend out 4.3 feet from the Skydeck!
- The Art Institute of Chicago – Experience a world-class Impressionist collection, contemporary modern masterpieces, classics like Nighthawks, and galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa, and the Americas.
Book Your Journey to the Ledge Today!
Looking to make lifelong memories in Chicago on your next visit? You can book tours of the stadium and rent indoor and outdoor areas of Soldier Field for all types of special events. Reach out to us today if you’d like to know more about family-friendly events at Willis Tower!