Is Chicago a State or a City?
Chicago has made a huge impact on American culture, from its signature Art Deco architecture to its world-class cuisine. And with such a big personality, some out-of-towners wonder “Hey, is Chicago a state or a city?” Even though Chicago encompasses a sprawling grid of neighborhoods, it is actually a city in Cook County, Illinois. Get to know more about what makes Chicago so celebrated with the experts from Skydeck, and learn how you can see the iconic Chicago skyline up close in the Willis Tower!
How Big is Chicago?
One reason people mistake Chicago for a state is due to its enormous population. Chicago’s population hovers around three million people, which makes it not just the largest city in the state but the third-largest in the entire country! Plus, it is among the top metropolises in the United States. Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions about Chicago:
- What Country is Chicago In? The city of Chicago is located in the United States of America, and it draws in tourists and business travelers from all over the world.
- What State is Chicago located in? The city of Chicago is located in Illinois. However, the greater Chicagoland area extends well into southeastern Wisconsin and northwestern Indiana.
- What is the Capital of Chicago? Chicago has no capital, and many are surprised to hear that the city is not even the official capital of Illinois. The city of Springfield has that honor!
What’s the Best Way to Experience Chicago?
Chicago may be a city, but it contains worlds of sights and sounds to explore. If you’re new to the area, we recommend doing a little research in advance to help you get the most out of every second of your visit.
- Whether you want to snap photos in front of the Bean or check out a local taqueria, there are tons of different ways to get around town. Try the elevated subway system, known as the L, or grab a Divvy bike on a sunny day. These low-cost options will make you feel like a local.
- If you want to catch an unbeatable view of the city skyline, head to the Willis Tower. This is the third tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere, and it’s home to a glass viewing platform known as the Skydeck. The Skydeck Ledge offers 360-degree views up to 50 miles extending into four different states!
- Can’t make it out to the city just yet? Check out the Chicago Virtual Tour to preview the Windy City before your next big trip!
Learn More With Skydeck
Now that you know a little more about the city of Chicago, why not plan your visit? No trip to the city is complete without a visit to the Willis Tower, so be sure to contact us at Skydeck with any questions. From advanced tickets to customized Welcome Wall messages, our team is ready to help make your stay unforgettable!