Cities With the Most Skyscrapers
If you want to know which cities are truly global, a skyscraper count will give you a pretty good idea. So what city has the most skyscrapers? That honor goes to Hong Kong, which is home to an astonishing 480 skyscrapers. Join Skydeck Chicago as we explore the cities with the most skyscrapers worldwide.
Top 10 Cities with Most Skyscrapers
When it comes to what city has the most skyscrapers, even New York City is bested by Hong Kong, which is home to no fewer than 480 skyscrapers. For its part, Chicago just makes the top ten, ranking eighth with 126 skyscrapers. Without further ado, here are the top ten cities with the most skyscrapers worldwide:
- Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China): 480
- Shenzhen (People’s Republic of China): 292
- New York City (United States): 287
- Dubai (United Arab Emirates): 200
- Shanghai (People’s Republic of China): 163
- Tokyo (Japan): 157
- Chongqing (People’s Republic of China): 127
- Chicago (United States): 126
- Guangzhou (People’s Republic of China): 118
- Wuhan (People’s Republic of China): 96
What City in the US Has the Most Skyscrapers?
How many skyscrapers in Chicago are there compared to other major US cities? Chicago ranks second with 126 — so what city in the US has the most skyscrapers? If you guessed New York City, you’re correct! The Big Apple wins the skyscraper title with a sky-high total of 287. Miami rounds out the top 3 with 57.
How Many Skyscrapers in Chicago Are There?
You know that the current count is 126, but how many skyscrapers in Chicago are there if you count its most famous skyscrapers throughout history? Chicago was home to quite a few game-changing skyscrapers, including the very first skyscraper in the world: the Home Insurance Building in 1885. Explore a few highlights from Chicago’s rich architectural history:
- Home Insurance Building: The 10-story Home Insurance Building is the first building to incorporate a steel frame to support its entire weight. After its completion in 1885, architects the world over would go on to use its groundbreaking “Chicago skeleton” steel frame construction technique.
- John Hancock Center: Standing 100 stories tall, the John Hancock Center employs exterior X-bracing to resist wind loads without interior support columns. It was completed in 1970.
- Willis Tower: Weather you’re from the midwest or not, it goes without saying that you’ve heard of the Willis Tower. At 110 stories, it’s currently the third-tallest building in the world. An observation deck on the 103rd floor is open to the public, providing a must-see opportunity for locals and visitors alike.
Explore Skyscrapers Worldwide with Skydeck!
Now that you know what city in the US has the most skyscrapers, why not see what “110 stories” really means? Plan your visit to the Ledge at Skydeck Chicago and experience our city from 1,459 feet up! Contact us today to find out how you can save on a range of unique, family-friendly activities.